A Stronger Nation Begins With A Pledge
Bickersteth Primary and infant school are situated in the rural community of Bickersteth in Saint James. It is sixteen kilometres from parish capital, Montego Bay.
As with other rural communities, the residents are either fully-employed or seasonally employed or unemployed. It is also worthy to note that most of the parents whose children attend this school are very young adults, uneducated and unemployed.
History of the School
During the nineteenth (19th) Edward Johnson, a Baptist deacon, decided to give a plot of his land for the establishment of a church school under the control of the Mt. Carey Baptist Church. An Englishman and Baptist Missionary by the name of Bickersteth was the chief person who helped to build the school and, as such, the school was named after him- Bickersteth Elementary School. The school continued on the church property until around the year 1950 when land was acquired from Mr Barrett and the government established the now Bickersteth Primary School naming it after the community in which it was built. The community was itself named after a Baptist Missionary whose surname was Bickersteth.
The need for adequate space, as the enrollment increased, resulted in the erection of additional buildings now used as classrooms and canteen facilities. A very active community council was formed after the school was established and it built a ‘soup kitchen’ to provide food for the children, as well as the infant department which consequently changed the school from being just a primary to a primary and infant school.