A Stronger Nation Begins With A Pledge
Holy Family Primary & Infant School, formerly known as East Branch Elementary School is located at 2 & 9 Laws Street, in South Central Kingston in an area commonly known as “Southside” This school was founded in 1890. The building then was a converted hospital, as the area was a residential one.
This building was destroyed in the 1951 hurricane. In January 1954, the school closed for rebuilding and was reopened in August of the same year. The programme until then was for children of all ages, but in 1963 the school became a Junior School with an Infant Department.
The School is in an area faced with deprivations, where opportunities are few. The economic circumstances from which most of the pupils come are one of dismal need and poverty. According to the Statistical Institute of Jamaica (STATIN 2007), more than 70% of persons in this community are socio-economically at risk. Most pupils come from families in this community, which are single parent female-headed households with low wages, under-employment and unemployment.